Reporter shot dead while investigating illegal logging

first_img Help by sharing this information Organisation CambodiaAsia – Pacific to go further December 28, 2020 Find out more Receive email alerts February 24, 2021 Find out more RSF_en CambodiaAsia – Pacific Cambodian journalist Taing Try was shot dead yesterday while investigating illegal logging in the southern province of Kratie with five other journalists. Three suspects have been arrested. January 21, 2021 Find out more Google experiments drop Australian media from search results News Cambodian journalist gets 20 months in jail for livestream A reporter for several local newspapers, Taing Try was shot while in his car. The car of the suspected killer was found 200 metres down the road where he had to abandon it.Reporters Without Borders is appalled by this cold-blooded murder of a journalist who was investigating a sensitive story. Environmentalist reporter Hang Serei Oudom already lost his life in late 2012 because of his coverage of deforestation and illegal logging in protected areas.“The fact that some of the people running this lucrative trafficking in timber hold senior positions must not afford them any kind of immunity,” said Benjamin Ismaïl, the head of the Reporters Without Borders Asia-Pacific desk. “If the three detained suspects really were involved in this shocking murder, we hope they will be tried like anyone else.”The three detained suspects – Mondolkiri police chief Ben Hieng, military police officer Khim Pheakdey and Cambodia Royal Air Force member La Narong – have reportedly admitted having a hand in the murder. All three are also suspected traffickers.At a press conference, the police said Taing Try – a member of the Khmer Journalists for Democracy Association – had threatened to report the three suspects to the authorities. Freedom of information is increasingly restricted in Cambodia and journalists who cover illegal logging are often the targets of threats.Cambodia is ranked 144th out of 180 countries in the 2014 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index. October 13, 2014 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Reporter shot dead while investigating illegal logging RSF decries Cambodian plan for Chinese-style “Great Firewall” News Follow the news on Cambodia News Newslast_img read more

Read More →

Mbeki slams apartheid lawsuits

first_img16 April 2003President Thabo Mbeki has slammed the lawsuits being brought in the US against companies on behalf of victims of apartheid, warning that judgments handed down in foreign courts will not be honoured in South Africa.Addressing Parliament during a debate on the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) report, Mbeki said it was “completely unacceptable … that matters that are central to the future of our country should be adjudicated in foreign courts, which bear no responsibility for the well-being of our country and the observance of the perspective contained in our Constitution of the promotion of national reconciliation”.A number of South African-based companies, including mining giants Anglo American and De Beers and petrochemicals firm Sasol, have been named in a reparations claim being brought by controversial US lawyer Ed Fagan.The government had previously said that it neither supported nor opposed such suits. Mbeki’s comments on Tuesday were more forthright, however, with the President assuring Parliament that the government was not and never would be party to this litigation.Senior government ministers echoed Mbeki, with Trade and Industry Minister Alec Erwin saying that the government was “contemptuous” of the lawsuits, and Justice Minister Penuell Maduna noting that South African issues such as reparation and justice could not be solved through legal action by courts in the United States.Maduna called on people rather to make contributions to the reparation trust fund which the government had established for reparations to apartheid victims, as recommended by the TRC report. “There is a call that has been made, that if you are able to do anything about the plight of the majority out there, do it”, Maduna said.Mbeki also said on Tuesday that the government had rejected the TRC’s recommendation of a once-off “wealth tax” for South African companies found to have benefited from apartheid.However, Mbeki said that business, just like any other sector of the population, had a role to play in reconstructing the country, and should contribute to the reparations fund, that would be managed by government and representatives from business.Mbeki says no to ‘wealth tax’The government will also provide a once-off R30 000 grant to about 20 000 individuals identified by the TRC as deserving reparation for suffering under apartheid.The amount comes to about R660-million, and is in addition to more than R50-million government has already paid out, as an interim measure, to 16 500 of the 18 800 victims identified as needing urgent relief.Grants for apartheid victimsSouthAfrica.info reporterlast_img read more

Read More →

Farm Economics Changing Dynamic of Seed Purchasing

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest While at Farm Science Review, many growers take a look around at new equipment and technology making their ways to the farm. Most say it may not be the right time for a big purchase, but it is nice to know what is available if and when the time to buy arrives. Although buying new gear can wait, but seed can’t. Daniel Call with Seed Consultants visits with the Ohio Ag Net’s Ty Higgins about how farmers are approaching seed buying for 2019.last_img read more

Read More →

Children welcome CWG guests with Namaste; Hariharan performs

first_imgHundreds of schoolchildren attired in the tricolour welcomed the Commonwealth Games 2010 to Delhi on Sunday at a glittering ceremony with ace singer Hariharan leading the performance.Hariharan took the stage and rendered the song ‘Swagatam’ (welcome) which created an amalgamation of Hindustani and Carnatic and finally climaxed into Qawali, a form of Sufi music.Over 1,000 children from various schools in the national capital performed a choreography, creating a formation of ‘Namaste’ (folded hands) as Hariharan rendered the song for over five minutes. The Namaste is the sign of welcome and respect to the honoured guests from all over the world.One of the highlights of this performance was students’ painting images of hands with ‘mehandi’.As the students attired in tricolour choreographed the Namaste sign, the 40-crore aerostat welcomed the guests from abroad and various parts of the country in 23 different languages.last_img read more

Read More →

Dilshan, Upul create history at 2011 World Cup

first_imgTillakaratne Dilshan and Tharanga starred in a record 282-run opening stand to guide Sri Lanka to a mammoth 327 for six against Zimbabwe in a group A match of the World Cup at Pallekele International Stadium in Sri Lanka on Thursday.Dilshan was elected Man of the Match.Dilshan smashed 144 before taking 4-4 to help Lanka beat Zimbabwe by 139 runs and reach the World Cup quarter-finals on Thursday.Dilshan blasted 16 fours and a six to score a 131-ball 144, while Tharanga plundered 17 fours en route to his 133, to guide the 1996 winners to a mammoth 327 for six in a group A encounter at the Pellekele stadium here.Dilshan also missed the record for the highest runs in an innings by a Sri Lankan in a World Cup by a whisker as he finished one short of Aravinda de Silva’s 145 against Kenya in 1996 World Cup.last_img read more

Read More →

a month agoLiverpool defender van Dijk: Still plenty of room for improvement

first_imgLiverpool defender van Dijk: Still plenty of room for improvementby Freddie Taylora month agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool defender Virgil van DIjk says the club are not getting carried away with their flawless start to the season.Saturday’s win over Sheffield United made it seven from seven for Jurgen Klopp’s men.”It’s the media who love statistics,” said the Dutchman. “The reality is we have nothing at the moment. We want to continue to do well and there’s still plenty of room for improvement.”Van Dijk added: “No. It’s far too early. We’re almost in October and the busy period will come. There are still so many games left and the only thing we focus on is the game ahead of us.”We don’t want to look at the others because there’s no point doing that. Everyone realises that as well because last season we saw how it turned quickly. We just want to focus on the game ahead of us.” About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Read More →

Alberta leadership candidate apologizes for using slur in Quebec rant

first_imgDRAYTON VALLEY, Alta. – A candidate for the leadership of Alberta’s United Conservative Party is apologizing for calling Quebec’s position on Bombardier “retarded.”Former federal MP Brian Jean tweeted that he regrets his choice of words.Jean was speaking with reporters in Drayton Valley, Alta., when he was asked about Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard’s call for the federal government to stand up against American tariffs on Bombardier jets.Jean ranted that it was “ridiculous and retarded” that Couillard wants Canada to stand with Quebec when there is opposition in Quebec to the Energy East pipeline that would carry Alberta oil to the East Coast.Jean was blasted by at least one of his rival’s leadership campaigns for his language.While Jean says he regrets using the word, he says he doesn’t regret standing up to Quebec.(The Canadian Press, RDNews Now)last_img read more

Read More →

Imperial reviews oilsands project approvals as heavy oil price discounts persist

first_imgCALGARY – Two new oilsands projects with the combined capacity to produce up to 200,000 barrels per day have been approved by the Alberta Energy Regulator but proponent Imperial Oil Ltd. isn’t saying when or if it will build them.Company experts are scouring the “guts and feathers” of the decisions on its 50,000-bpd Cold Lake expansion and 150,000-bpd Aspen projects, both of which would use solvent and steam to recover bitumen from wells, said CEO Rich Kruger on a conference call to discuss third-quarter results on Friday.The prospect of producing more heavy oil comes at a difficult time as discounts being paid for Western Canadian Select bitumen blend crude versus New York-traded West Texas Intermediate are hovering near US$40 per barrel, about three times typical differences.Light oil discounts have also widened recently as Canadian oil production exceeds export pipeline capacity — although lower-priced Alberta light oil actually weighs in Imperial’s favour because its Edmonton-area refinery consumes primarily light oil, Kruger pointed out.The Calgary-based company has grown its crude-by-rail exports from 80,000 barrels per day of diluted bitumen six months ago to about 100,000 bpd now and plans to increase that to as much as 130,000 bpd by year-end, he said.The rail-loading terminal Imperial co-owns near its Edmonton refinery has capacity to ship 210,000 bpd.“As we get into 2019, we’re going to continue to work to ramp it up … I’d like to use every bit of that capacity because that allows us to get into the highest value markets (on the U.S. Gulf Coast),” Kruger said.Imperial earned $749 million in the third quarter, more than double its profit of $371 million in the same period last year, thanks to strong upstream production and downstream profits.Analysts applauded the report that Imperial’s Kearl oilsands mining projects, which has previously been dogged by reliability problems, posted record gross production of 244,000 barrels per day, about 4,000 bpd higher than its nameplate capacity.The project is 30 per cent owned by Imperial’s U.S. parent company, Exxon Mobil Corp.Overall upstream production was 393,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day, up slightly from the third quarter of 2017, resulting in earnings of $222 million, the highest level in four years.Imperial’s refining and sales division, meanwhile, pulled in earnings of $502 million compared with $292 million for the third quarter last year.Downstream profits were up despite a $33-million impairment charge related to the Ontario government’s revocation of its cap and trade carbon emission regulations.Partners in the Syncrude oilsands mining consortium are working to finalize commercial agreements for a plan to improve reliability by integrating certain operations with the nearby Suncor Energy Inc. base processing plant, Kruger said on the call.On Thursday, Suncor CEO Steve Williams said the partners have agreed in principle on the main terms and he expects two pipelines between the two plants will be completed by late 2020.Suncor owns about 49 per cent and Imperial owns 25 per cent of Syncrude.Follow @HealingSlowly on Twitter.Companies in this story: (TSX:IMO, TSX:SU)last_img read more

Read More →

Fort St Johns former top cop coming out of retirement on Vancouver

first_imgThe detachment’s current OIC announced that they were resigning several weeks ago.The news comes less than two months after Insp. Kurvers announced that he was retiring after 28 years with the RCMP.He most recently served as the Fort St. John RCMP’s officer in charge for the past four years.Cst. Terragni said that at this point, it’s not known when Insp. Kurvers will be taking over at the Comox Valley detachment, or what caused him to postpone his retirement plans.With files from 98.9 The Goat: https://www.mycomoxvalleynow.com/39043/former-fort-st-john-inspector-to-head-up-comox-valley-rcmp/ COMOX, B.C. – The former officer in charge of the Fort St. John RCMP detachment has apparently decided that he isn’t quite yet ready to retire, and has taken a position at the helm of another RCMP detachment on the South Coast.As first reported by 98.9 The Goat in Courtenay, Inspector Mike Kurvers will be taking over as the Comox Valley RCMP detachment’s officer-in-charge.Comox Valley RCMP detachment spokesperson Cst. Monika Terragni said that the detachment first learned that Kurvers would be stepping into the role yesterday.last_img read more

Read More →

Cause of Formula Powell Trucking fire likely accidental

first_imgDeputy Fire Chief and Public Safety Director Darrell Blades said that the fire was sparked inside of a storage shed on the property before spreading to several pallets containing bagged drilling mud mix.Blades said that the shed was completely burned out, making it difficult for fire investigators to pinpoint an exact ignition source, but that the shed did not have any electrical power nor did it have any other apparent ignition source inside.He added that at this point, the fire has not been deemed suspicious due to the relatively low value of the shed compared to other items on the property, and investigators are leaning towards labelling the fire as accidental.Blades explained that the fire was sustained by consuming the paper and plastic wrap of the pallets, which contained bags of barium sulphate used to make drilling mud for the oil and gas industry that is not flammable.At this point, damage to the business is estimated to be at least $10,000, while the value of the barium sulphate lost in the fire and response has not yet been determined.A fire at Formula Powell Trucking 10 years ago caused the City to enact a new bylaw to limit the proximity that hazardous materials could be stored from residential neighbourhoods, which have expanded towards the business ever since. FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Officials with the Fort St. John Fire Department say that the cause of a fire that erupted at Formula Powell Trucking over the weekend has not yet been fully determined, but was likely accidental.Firefighters were called to the trucking company’s storage yard in the 10200-block of 116 Street at approximately 2:20 a.m. Saturday. Firefighters battling a blaze at Formula Powell Trucking on Saturday. Photo by Stephen Beard Firefighters battling a blaze at Formula Powell Trucking on Saturday. Photo by Stephen Beard Firefighters battling a blaze at Formula Powell Trucking on Saturday. Photo by Stephen Beard Firefighters battling a blaze at Formula Powell Trucking on Saturday. Photo by Stephen Beard Firefighters battling a blaze at Formula Powell Trucking on Saturday. Photo by Stephen Beard Firefighters battling a blaze at Formula Powell Trucking on Saturday. Photo by Stephen Beard Firefighters battling a blaze at Formula Powell Trucking on Saturday. Photo by Stephen Beard Firefighters battling a blaze at Formula Powell Trucking on Saturday. Photo by Stephen Beard Firefighters battling a blaze at Formula Powell Trucking on Saturday. Photo by Stephen Beard Firefighters battling a blaze at Formula Powell Trucking on Saturday. Photo by Stephen Beard Blades said that while fire officials are continuing their investigation today, at this point it appears the business is in compliance with all applicable bylaws.last_img read more

Read More →